We had our first snowfall before Christmas. After the snow fell, we had a nice layer of sleet to go on top. I went out the following day to let the chickens out and they lived up to their name "chickens"!!
They looked at the snow as if to say "we're not going out there"!!
They stayed in their coop the whole day. :-) I shut their door early, since they didn't want to come out and play in the snow. I even tried to lure them out with water and bread.
The next day I tried again to lure them out and was successful with one...
We call her "sick chickie" because she has a runny nose and seemingly sick with the same disease that has killed many of our chickens this year. She has spunk though! When you go in their fenced in yard, she'll jump up and bite your hand in hopes that you are holding bread. She loves bread and gets a little too excited. She'll steal bread from the rooster's beaks and take off running. :-)
Here's the chickens playing when the snow started to fall. The pretty blue hen in front of the two roosters was killed this week by a hawk. She was my runt who started out small and then grew to be bigger than hens who were several weeks older than her.
The neighbor's flag shows just how much wind we've had this fall with our storms. The snow came down fast!














No comments:
Post a Comment