Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Daffodil Show

"Daffodils" (1804)



I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretch'd in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


By William Wordsworth (1770-1850)

The Daffodil Show has begun in my yard! The nice thing about planting lots of varieties is that I still have many that have yet to bloom!! I can't believe how unique some of them are too. Here's some pictures I have taken over the past  week....some of them don't give them justice, you really need to see them in person to get a good feel for how pretty they are!


I love the ruffles on these!

The darn wind keeps knocking over my heavy double blooms. I keep taking them inside when they start to fall. The kitchen smells good!

I have a lot of these daffodils with multiple blooms. I planted 50 Avalanche and 100 Minnows. They look similar, but the Minnows are the smaller variety.

A view of the hill of daffodils, looks much better in person!


Isn't this one fun?


These have pretty ruffles too!


This one is very cool looking too! Many of them are surprises, I planted lots of groupings and didn't know what all of them would look like. One group I bought was called "The Daffodil 100"...it had 100 bulbs and each bulb was a different variety.



There's lots of other daffodils all around the yard that have been here for who knows how many years. I've been working on transplanting some that are too crowded, so next year's show will be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment